Friday, April 8, 2011

the end of the semester and Italy

Well... this is it, the end of my first full year in the music program. Needless to say (due to me spouting about it on here) I have loved it, and I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing than studying music, but that doesn't mean that I feel no intimidation or stress. Thankfully I've been able to work hard and do well (for the most part) and I am not approaching a jury full of songs that I barely know, but this jury is a special one. I am auditioning to switch from the BA music major to a Bmus (Bachelor of Music). Obviously this is a more concentrated program, and they have higher standards, but I am confident that I can meet those standards. Only next friday will really tell what happens, but so far I have my 4 songs memorized down pat, and now I can spend time polishing, ironing out small fingering issues, and furthering my artistic interpretation of said pieces.
Also, I am making some headway on my own arrangement of "Aerith's Theme", which is really exciting, its from my favorite movie, and I have a lot of emotional connection with it. Hopefully I can finish it during the summer, and have it learned for next semester.
This summer I have a bit of "homework" as it were, since I have been selected for the position of Residents Assistant next year. This involves reading several books, writing on them, and planning floor meetings for at least the first semester, as well as selecting ARA's and small group leaders. I am going to need to put a lot of thought and prayer into all of this, but I am actually quite excited to see what is going to happen, and to have the ability to be this involved.
Further than that however I have some musical goals for the summer. I am going to begin piano lessons next semester and I dont want to go in knowing next to nothing. The main reason for this is that Edwin Gnandt will be teaching me. For those of you who don't know Edwin he is a faculty member at the school and he went to Julliard. For those of you who don't know what Julliard is, go look it up. Needless to say I will not allow Edwin to teach me the very basics, I plan to acquire a few piano books and work on that some over the summer so he can hopefully teach me something of actual consequence. we'll see where that goes.
I also want to continue to conduct during the summer. I doubt there is any opportunity for me to conduct in any actual ensembles, but I'm sure I will be making a trip to Rideau to pick up some scores to analyze and conduct silently.
Also, I am hoping to buy a 7 string guitar this summer. I don't know if that will really happen, but I am always saddened by my inability to drop tune to a low B or A. The metal must be unleashed.
Besides all this, I'm joining the Jazz ensemble next semester, so while i know some basic jazz chords and two of my modes, I will need to get my hands on "the real book" and start immersing myself in the structure of the songs.

Italy is going to be amazing. we are leaving in just under a month, and I can't wait. However I need to go shopping for some new shoes, and other clothes. I could just take the clothes I have but I feel as if I want to buy a whole new wardrobe for the occasion (this is an exaggeration, hopefully). I should probably also invest some time in researching the historical sites we will be visiting so I can more fully appreciate them when I go there.

Also.. there are rumblings and rumors of Radiohead having a second part to their album that they have yet to release... go to www.thekingoflimbspart2.com to see what all the fuss is about.

Also also I am getting a headache, so I should finish reading this guitar pedagogy article and go get some food. Enjoy your exams! or your usual life..

No comments:

Post a Comment